Renovating A Heritage Home
It was exciting to renovate this elegant home in Elbow Park as it was only the second renovation in its 100-year history. Originally built in the early 1900s, the first renovation was in the 1960s. This included an addition to the front of the house and remodeling with asbestos-laden materials. As this substance is now known to be dangerous, Malbec Homes & Renovations adhered to strict standards for removal. Other major parts of our renovation included:
- Reworking the 4-bedroom upper floor so it became 3 bedrooms with a master bedroom ensuite.
- Removing walls and reframing the main floor to make it more open.
- Removing the sunshine ceiling in the kitchen, and making the ceiling height nine feet, further adding to a feeling of openness.
- Extending the kitchen cabinets and adding an island to increase storage and counter space.
- Exposing and treating original brickwork in both the kitchen and an upstairs bedroom to make the most of heritage features.